Endicott code enforcement officials have ordered people to stay out of a three-story Washington Avenue building because of dangerously-high carbon monoxide levels.

Authorities say the building was condemned following Sunday night's incident which resulted in four people being sent to a hospital for evaluation.

An Endicott fire department official said a resident of 122 Washington Avenue sought medical treatment after experiencing flu-like symptoms.

A blood test revealed the person had high carbon monoxide levels. The hospital informed the fire department which dispatched firefighters to check out the building.

Signs on the front and rear of 122 Washington Avenue advised people not to enter the building. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

The mixed-use structure was evacuated and three residents were transported to the hospital.

Firefighters measured a carbon monoxide level of more than 500 parts per million in the building. That's more than 50 times the level deemed safe.

NYSEG shut off the natural gas to the building and posted notices warning of an unsafe condition.

A village code enforcement officer posted signs at the front and rear entrances of the building advising that it had been "condemned as unfit for human habitation."

County property records indicate the building's owners live in Ithaca. A woman identified as one of the owners told a reporter who called that she had no comment and hung up.

New York State Electric and Gas shut off utilities after a carbon monoxide problem was reported at 122 Washington Avenue on November 10, 2019. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.