Cider Mill in Endicott Discards Thousands of Doughnuts
Employees of the Cider Mill in Endicott expressed relief that a blaze that broke out at the business happened when it did.
The electrical fire inside the massive red building at 2 Nanticoke Avenue erupted around 6:25 a.m. Wednesday.
An employee spotted sparks and then flames shooting from an electrical outlet near the cash register at the main counter. She used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.
The Cider Mill was closed for the day but is scheduled to reopen Thursday morning.
About 2,400 doughnuts that had been prepared before the small fire were tossed out.
The blaze at the iconic business in Endicott's Union District occurred about a half-hour before it was scheduled to open.
Cider Mill managers and workers said it was "fortunate" the fire caused no damage and that it didn't happen a few hours earlier when the place was empty.
An early-morning fire in December 1971 that was traced to a defective electrical appliance destroyed the Cider Mill's previous building. The current building was opened the following summer.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.