Authorities say a teenager died as the result of an early-morning fire that tore through his family's home in Chenango County.

Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News (file)
Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News (file)

According to the sheriff's office, the blaze was at 457 State Highway 8 in Mount Upton. The fire was reported around 1:15 a.m. Wednesday.

When sheriff's deputies arrived minutes after the call was received, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

The 16-year-old boy was unable to escape the burning house. Other family members were able to get out of the structure.

Investigators say the fire apparently was linked to a wood stove, which was the home's primary heating source.

The Mount Upton Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from four other departments.

The Southern Tier Chapter of the American Red Cross sent members of its Disaster Action Team to help the residents who were left homeless as a result of the blaze. The agency said direct care assistance and lodging was being provided to two people.

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM