Westover Home Damaged as Oil on Stove Ignites, Creating Fireball
A two-family house in the town of Union was damaged by a blaze that was traced to an unattended propane stove.
Authorities say the fire at 14 Dayton Street in Westover was reported around 2:20 p.m. Thursday.
Johnson City firefighters reported heavy smoke and active blaze on a covered deck attached to the back side of the house.
Propane escaping from a tank on the deck caused the fire to flare up. The fire was extinguished within a few minutes.
Two people who were home when the fire broke out were not injured.
Fire marshal Bob Blakeslee said a propane-fueled camp stove had been left unattended on the deck. Oil on the stove boiled over and ignited when it came into contact with a burner. That created a fireball that ignited nearby tables.
The fire burned through the hose connecting the propane tank to the stove, allowing gas to flow freely, fueling the flames.
The blaze was reported by passersby who spotted smoke from the fire.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org. For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.
LOOK: Oldest Disneyland Rides From 1955 to Today
25 True Crime Locations: What Do They Look Like Today?
Pac-Man Facts: 40 Easily Digestible Bits of Arcade-Game History
RANKED: Here are the most popular national parks