The ‘Triple-Hs’ Continue to Steam the Twin Tiers
It's another day of the "Triple H" threat: Hazy, Hot and Humid.
The National Weather Service has issued a Heat Advisory for the entire region, which remains in effect until 8 p.m. August 29.
Authorities say the Heat Index Values could again reach to near 100 degrees due to temperatures in the lower 90s, and dewpoints around 70.
NOAA says the highest heat indices will be from 2 to 7 p.m. Forecasters project conditions to remain warm and muggy into the night with low temperatures mostly in the lower 70s.
A Heat Advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Never leave anyone, including pets in a vehicle.
Dozens of cooling locations around Broome County are recommended by the County Health Department, including shopping centers, parks and public buildings like senior centers.
Cooling centers may be available only during extreme heat events. Call before you go.
- Broome County Public Library, 185 Court Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-778-6400
- Broome West Senior Center, 2801 Wayne Street, Endwell, 13760, 607-785-3427
- Columbus Park Spray Pad, 9 Columbus Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7168
- Deposit Senior Center, 14 Monument Street, Deposit, 13754, 607-467-3953
- Dorchester Park, 5469 NY Rt 26, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-4612
- Eastern Broome Senior Center, 27 Golden Lane, Harpursville, 13787, 607-693-2069
- Fairview Pool (small pool), 54 Fairview Ave, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7208
- Fenton Free Library, 1062 Chenango Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-724-8649
- Floral Ave Pool (small pool), 200 Floral Ave, Johnson City, 13790, 607-797-3031
- George F Johnson Memorial Library, 1001 Park Street, Endicott, 13760, 607-757-5350
- Greenwood Park, 153 Greenwood Road, Lisle, 13797, 607-862-9933
- Highland Park Pool, 801 Hooper Road, Endwell, 13760, 607-786-2970
- Johnson City Senior Center, 30 Brocton Street, Johnson City, 13790,607-797-3145
- MacArthur Pool (small pool), 1081 Vestal Ave, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7205
- Mary L Wilcox Library, 2630 Main Street, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-3159
- Nathaniel Cole Park, 1674 Colesville Road, Harpursville, 13787, 607-693-2700
- North Shore Towers Senior Center, 24 Isbell Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-6214
- North Side Pool, 1 Pleasant Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7202
- Northern Broome Senior Center, 12 Strongs Place, Whitney Point, 13862, 607-692-3405
- Oakdale Mall, 601-635 Harry L Drive, Johnson City, 13790, 607-798-9380
- Recreation Park, 103 Laurel Ave, Binghamton, 13901,607-772-9166
- South Side Pool, 95 Jackson Street, Binghamton, 13901, 607-772-7204
- Spray Park at CFJ Park, 98 CFJ Blvd, Johnson City, 13790, 607-797-3031
- Vestal Memorial Pool, 209 Clayton Ave, Vestal, 13850, 607-754-3368
- Vestal Senior Center, 201 Main Street, Vestal, 13850, 607-754-9596
- West Endicott Park Pool (small pool), 525 Maple Street, Endicott, 13760, 607-786-2970
- Your Home Public Library, 107 Main Street, Johnson City, 13790, 607-797-4816
Cooling sites across the state are listed at www.health.ny.gov/environmental/weather/cooling/countycenters.htm.