Hunter Killed in Propane Heater Explosion Near Honesdale
A hunter died after a portable propane heater exploded in Wayne County, Pennsylvania.
Authorities say 81-year-old Gregory Scheer of Chiefland, Florida was hunting from a stand on the ground in Texas township when the blast occurred.
Pennsylvania State Police believe a heater Scheer had been using may have malfunctioned, causing a propane bottle to explode around 12:45 p.m. Saturday.
Investigators say two other propane bottles also exploded.
According to WNEP, Scheer had been hunting in a wooded area on property owned by a friend.
The property owner went to check on Scheer after he heard an explosion.
Police say it's possible the heater malfunctioned or that there may have been an improper connection to a propane bottle.
An autopsy was expected to be performed on Monday.
A state fire marshal was investigating the explosion.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.