
Binghamton Vigil Held for Man Assaulted by Teenagers
A large group of people gathered in downtown Binghamton near the spot where a homeless man was viciously attacked.
Police said five teenagers punched and kicked the victim on Carroll Street on April 27. The 45-year-old man sustained severe injuries to his head and body. He had been hospitalized in critical condition.
Several people spoke during Tuesday afternoon's vigil at Kennedy Park in front of two high-rise apartment buildings at Chenango Place near the Henry Street post office.
One of those who addressed the crowd said he had been told by Peter Bennedum's family that the man had been removed from life support and had died.
Many of those who spoke during the gathering decried the lack of sufficient assistance for those who are unhoused in Broome County. They called for more to be done to help protect those who are vulnerable and in need.
Binghamton police investigators have not released the name of the man who was attacked on Carroll Street.
Detectives said about 90 minutes from the time of the assault until someone reported an unresponsive man was lying on the sidewalk at the intersection of Carroll and Henry streets.
Police have said four of the suspects in the attack - two 14-year-old boys and two 15-year-old boys - were charged with attempted murder. The fifth suspect - a 13-year-old boy - has not been charged.
WNBF NEWS VIDEO: One of the speakers during a vigil at Kennedy Park in downtown Binghamton on May 5, 2026.

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com or call (607) 545-2250. For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @bobjoseph.bsky.social on Bluesky or @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.
LOOK: Bizarre slang words and phrases from every state
Gallery Credit: Stacker
LOOK: The Most Iconic Magazine Covers of the '80s and '90s
Gallery Credit: Stephen Lenz
More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM








