Three Years Later: No Arrests in Binghamton Playground Arson
Despite a $5,000 reward offer, no one has been charged in connection with an arson fire that wrecked an adaptive playground in Binghamton's Recreation Park three years ago.
City police investigators said the blaze that raced through the $750,000 playground in the West Side park during the early-morning hours of June 1, 2020 was the result of an intentional act.
The fire destroyed most of the play equipment at the specially-designed facility that had opened four years earlier. The OurSpace playground had been closed that spring because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The fast-moving blaze was reported just after 12:30 on a Monday morning, several hours after Recreation Park was filled with hundreds of people during a demonstration for racial justice.
Binghamton police have released very little information about the arson investigation since the fire occurred.
Detective Lieutenant Cory Minor told WNBF News Wednesday afternoon that the case remains an "active investigation." Police have not publicly identified any suspects or possible persons of interest in the arson.
Richard David, who was mayor at the time of the fire, has said "there are people in this community that know exactly who did it and for whatever reason haven't come forward."
On December 31, 2022 - his final day in office - David announced that the city was offering a $5,000 reward for information in the case.
Minor said people with information about the arson incident may contact the Binghamton police detective bureau at (607) 772-7080.
The OurSpace playground was rebuilt and was reopened less than five months after the fire.
VIDEO FLASHBACK: The arson investigation began a few hours after the fire at the OurSpace playground was extinguished.