Endwell Fire Traced To Paint Thinner
Vapors from a bucket of paint thinner were ignited by a furnace, sparking an Endwell building fire that left a woman and an infant homeless.
The blaze at 2502 North Street was reported around 7:30 Monday night.
Broome County fire investigator Jeff Winchell told WNBF News the paint thinner was about 15 to 20 feet from the furnace in a garage area. But the garage wasn’t closed off from the furnace area, so fumes from the paint thinner spread and were ignited.
Winchell said there was evidence of a rolling flame that would have developed when the vapors ignited.
Winchell described the garage as a total loss. The office used by Precision Painting and the one apartment in the building sustained extensive damage.
No injuries were reported in the fire, which was brought under control after about ten minutes. Firefighters were on the scene for more than four hours.