Students Sent Home Due to High Carbon Monoxide at Vestal School
A building in the Vestal School District was closed because of a high carbon monoxide reading.
According to a statement released by the district, the problem occurred at Vestal Hills Elementary School on Country Club Road.
The district has not indicated when the elevated level of the potentially-deadly odorless gas was detected. It also was not known whether the Vestal fire department or NYSEG responded to the school.
The statement said Vestal Hlls principal Therese Mastro was able to notify some families as students were on their way to the school. Others were advised in time to keep their children home.
Students who did not have a parent or guardian at home were taken to the auditorium of the African Road Elementary School until they could be picked up.
The cause of the carbon monoxide problem had not been determined.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com or (607) 772-8400 extension 233.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.
LOOK: Here is the richest town in each state
What Are the Signature Drinks From Every State?