Two Arrested, 18 Displaced After Meth Fire in Binghamton
An explosion and flash fire that occurred in a downtown Binghamton apartment house while meth was being cooked left one man seriously burned.
Authorities say the incident in a four-story building at 86 Carroll Street was reported at 9:55 p.m. Sunday.
According to the Binghamton fire department, one man was taken to Wilson Medical Center with burns to his face and right hand.
The 22-unit apartment house is owned by Opportunities for Broome. Executive director Mark Silvanic said there was an explosion when a man was cooking methamphetamine on a stove.
Silvanic said the blast blew out two windows in the apartment. He said although fire damage was minimal, there was significant water damage because the sprinkler system was activated. He said the cost of the damage has been estimated at $10,000.
Silvanic said 18 people who lived in the building were relocated to a downtown hotel for the remainder of the night.
Police say two men were arrested by patrol officers following the fire. 42-year-old Spencer Jackson, who lived in the apartment, and 20-year-old Vincent Stanton of Lisle were charged with third-degree unlawful manufacturing of methamphetamine.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.