Binghamton firefighters at 29 Mather Street on May 11, 2016. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]

One man was rushed to a hospital after he became ill when he was exposed to chemicals in a residence on Binghamton's West Side.

The Binghamton fire department was called to a five-unit apartment house at 29 Mather Street around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Assistant fire chief Stephen Faughnan said the problem occurred when liquid bleach was poured down a sink drain after sulfuric acid previously was poured down the drain. The chemicals mixed and created hazardous fumes.

Faughnan said a man with asthma encountered breathing problems after inhaling the fumes. He was taken to Lourdes Hospital for treatment.

The fire department's hazardous materials unit was sent to the scene to properly dispose of the chemical mixture.


A Binghamton Fire Department truck on Mather Street near Thorp Street. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM