New Permit Issued After Fatal Incident at Dickinson Speedway
The town of Dickinson supervisor says another permit has been issued for a project at a Speedway convenience store following a deadly explosion in a fuel tank.
Michael Marinaccio said renovation work at the business on Old Front Street resumed after the September 20 incident in which a worked was killed.
Marinaccio said he's been advised the project may not be completed for another five weeks.
A Syracuse man, 57-year-old Arthur Hines, died in an apparent flashover in the tank in which he was working.
Marinaccio said he had been concerned about potential hazards during the project as the convenience store and a McDonald's restaurant remained open.
Marinaccio expressed surprise that the businesses continued to operate when work was being done on the gasoline tanks. He said he "certainly questioned that because you never know what could happen."
A representative of Speedway owner Marathon Petroleum Corporation has not returned calls seeking comment about the project at the Dickinson site.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is continuing to investigate the worker's death.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.