Endicott Inn Residents Surprised to Learn of Demolition Plan
Some Endicott residents were surprised to learn that the state is paying to have the building where they live torn down.
Governor Andrew Cuomo's office on Monday announced the state was providing money for the demolition of two vacant buildings in the village, including what was described as the "former" Endicott Inn.
This came as news to people who are still living in the Washington Avenue building, which once was a premiere Endicott lodging place known as Hotel Frederick.
George Troseth, who said he's resided at the Endicott Inn for most of the last two decades, received a call from a relative who heard a report that the place was to be demolished.
Troseth hadn't been told that his home might soon be history. He told a reporter that he found it surprising because the property owners had been making renovations in recent months.
While many of the rooms have been empty while the work has been underway, Troseth said there are several other people living in the Endicott Inn. He said it's still operating, despite the statement from the governor suggesting it's a thing of the past.
A sign posted in the building's office states: "Hotel Under Renovation No Vacancy."
The property was purchased for $980,000 by Shantivan Hospitality LLC of New Jersey in 2009. The owner has not responded to requests for comment about the future of the property.
A woman at the front desk of the motel on Friday declined comment. No employees were available to speak at the property when a reporter visited on Tuesday.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.