New York State Police say a fire in Kirkwood November 12 that claimed one life is being traced to the chimney of a woodstove.

72 year old Roger Simma was pronounced dead at the scene while his houseguest, 67 year old Lynn Tompkins suffered serious burns.

Tompkins attempted, unsuccessfully, to get Simma out of the house on Loughlin Road after both were awakened by fire and smoke at 6:11 p.m.

Tompkins was taken to Wilson Hospital and then air-lifted to Upstate University Medical Center in Syracuse where he was last listed in critical but stable condition.

New York State Police were joined at the scene by officials with Broome County Office of Emergency Services, Broome Fire Investigation Unit and fire departments from Five Mile Point, Port Crane, Windsor, West Windsor, Sanitaria Springs, Kirkwood, Conklin, Port Dickinson and West Colesville as well as ambulance crews from Broome Volunteer and Superior squads.


More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM