DA Receives Binghamton East Middle School Investigation Results
100 days after a controversial incident at East Middle School in Binghamton, state and local officials have yet to release the conclusions of police investigators.
Binghamton police and New York State Police have turned over their findings to the Broome County District Attorney's Office.
Governor Andrew Cuomo in late January called on the state education department and the state police to investigate what happened when four girls allegedly were searched at the school.
The city school district had said an internal investigation into what transpired January 15 "found no evidence that a strip search was conducted" by staff members.
Cuomo said he wanted state police to look into the matter involving the 12-year-old black girls because he was concerned there may have been "a criminal violation."
Binghamton police Detective Captain John Ryan said representatives of his office forwarded the information they had collected to state police investigators and the DA's office. He said city police lodged no charges and filed no warrants in the case.
A state police representative said the agency's findings had been forwarded to the office of District Attorney Stephen Cornwell.
Cornwell's office has not commented on where things stand with the review of the police investigations or when any final report may be released.
Governor Cuomo's office also has not provided any updates regarding the investigations he had ordered.
No comment about the status of the East Middle School matter was available Thursday from Binghamton school superintendent Tonia Thompson's office.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.