Broome County’s Clerk says more money collected to license and register vehicles and drivers should stay in the community where they are paid and processed.

Bob Joseph/WNBF News
Bob Joseph/WNBF News

Clerk Joseph Mihalko was joined by New York State Senator Republican Fred Akshar, Democrat County Executive Jason Garnar and Republican County Legislature Chairman Daniel Reynolds last week to call for Governor Andrew Cuomo and the State Legislature to update what they called the “antiquated DMV fee-sharing agreement” that requires counties to pay for the staffing and operating costs of the motor vehicle offices while retaining 12.7% of the fees they collect.  Mihalko says the remaining 87.3% is handed over to the state for deposit in the General Fund. Mihalko says that's a fund localities have little or no say over how it is spent.

Senator Akshar is a co-sponsor of a bill under consideration in the Senate Transportation Committee that would increase the counties’ share to 25%.


More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM