Church in two counties to get historic designation
The border of Broome and Delaware Counties runs through the property of the First Presbyterian Church of Deposit. Located on Second Street in the village, the brick and stone church was built in 1880.
It's among 14 properties and districts just recommended for the register of historic places by the New York State Board for Historic Preservation.
Other Presbyterian churches of the same era had a similar look on the outside. There's an asphalt roof on the structure. A spire was removed in 1941.
Architect Lawrence Valk designed the inside of First Presbyterian of Deposit in what's known as an "auditorium plan." That includes curved pews, radiating aisles and sloping floors to minimize the distance between the congregation and preacher.
In the application for the designation, church members wrote of how Valk, of New York City, "argued that churches were built for the salvation of souls and that comfort and cheerfulness should not be sacrificed to architectural exhibition."
They continued: "This was the essence of what those who promoted the changes in liturgy and design adopted by many Protestant churches in the late nineteenth century believed: that a comfortable congregation surrounded by beautiful spaces was better able to hear and accept the word of God."
First Presbyterian of Deposit will join the New York State Register of Historic Places once the recommendation is approved by the state's historic preservation officer. Then the church will be nominated to the National Register of historic places for review and approval.
See the application and photos for the register of historic places at link below.