Roof Fire Prompts Evacuation Of Binghamton Hotel
The Holiday Inn on Hawley Street in downtown Binghamton was evacuated this afternoon after a small fire broke out on a roof next to the main hotel building.
The blaze was reported shortly after two o’clock. It was confined to a roof area on a section of the hotel complex which houses businesses and a ballroom.
Assistant fire chief Mark Whalen said the fire generated a small amount of smoke. He said it was quickly extinguished.
Whalen said workers were using a torch to bind sections of roofing. He said some wood on the roof began to smolder, causing a smoky fire.
No injuries were reported. People were allowed to return to hotel rooms and the businesses in the complex after about 20 minutes.