Man Sentenced to Prison in Fatal Binghamton Stabbing
A Binghamton man who admitted killing a man following a fistfight will be heading to state prison.
25-year-old Juan Lopez-Laboy had pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter in connection with the deadly stabbing that occurred on Binghamton's North Side. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison on Thursday.
Authorities said Lopez-Laboy repeatedly stabbed 31-year-old Santos Echevarria at Town and Country Apartments on Roberts Street. The attack occurred early in the morning of February 12.
Echevarria was driven to Lourdes Hospital before police arrived at the scene of the attack. He died a short time later.
Investigators had said the stabbing was the culmination of a dispute that began in Endicott.
Lopez-Laboy turned himself in at the Binghamton police station a few hours after he had been named as a "person of interest" in the case.
He initially was charged with second-degree murder. In March, he entered a plea to the manslaughter count.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.