Badly Burned Man Dies In Binghamton High-Rise Fire
Authorities say a 68-year-old man, who sustained burns over most of his body in an afternoon blaze in a downtown Binghamton apartment tower has died.
According to fire department officials, the severely-burned man was taken to Wilson Medical Center in Johnson City.
The fire at 24 Isbell Street was reported at 12:41 p.m.
Captain Michael Griffis, the fire department duty chief, says the blaze was confined to a fifth-floor apartment.
When firefighters entered the apartment, they found the man and a chair on fire.
Griffis says the blaze was brought under control after about 20 minutes.
Six fire department engines – all of the department’s equipment available at the time – were sent to the scene.
Residents of the other units in the tower were allowed to return to their apartments.
Fire investigators have ruled the blaze accidental. Lieutenant Thomas Harding says it may have been smoking-related but a final determination had not been made as of late this afternoon.
Harding says the chair in the apartment was damaged and there was some minor charring to the floor.