Dozens of state government workers were evacuated from a downtown Binghamton office building because of dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide.

Firefighters were sent to the six-story structure at 229 State Street shortly after 8 a.m. Friday after an alarm was triggered.

Lieutenant Thomas Harding of the fire marshal's office said about two-dozen people quickly left the building and experienced no symptoms.

A sign posted inside the office building at 229 State Street on February 23, 2018. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Harding said elevated carbon monoxide levels were detected throughout the structure. The offices are used by the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities.

A spokeswoman for the agency said the affected workers were relocated to another facility.

In addition to state employees, some construction workers who were in the building were evacuated.

Harding said the problem was caused by a gas-fueled boiler in the basement. He said a fan in the ventilation system had stopped working.

Very high levels of carbon monoxide were measured in the area around the boiler. A NYSEG crew confirmed the heating equipment was the source of the potentially-deadly gas.

Harding said the fire department used several fans to ventilate the building. He said units were on the scene for about two-and-a-half hours.

High carbon monoxide levels prompted the evacuation of an office building at State and Lewis streets in Binghamton. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph:

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.