Kirkwood House Fire Linked to Recently-Used Hair Dryer
A blaze that damaged a residence in the town of Kirkwood apparently was caused by a hot hair dryer.
The fire was in the Kirkwood Mobile Home Park at 41 Loughlin Road. It was reported around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Broome County senior fire investigator Brian Botsford said there were no injuries.
Botsford said the blaze originated in the bathroom of the mobile home, which was unoccupied at the time.
Fire damage was contained primarily to the bathroom because the door was closed when it started. It burned through the door but did not spread to the rest of the structure.
Botsford said the woman who lives in the residence told investigators she had used the hair dryer shortly before the fire occurred. Investigators believe the still-hot device ignited some material nearby, sparking the fire.
Firefighters from Kirkwood, Five Mile Point and the town of Binghamton were sent to the scene.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.