Fewer Sunoco Stations Affects Price Chopper Discount Program
Price Chopper customers have fewer places to redeem their fuel discounts now that Speedway has acquired Express Mart convenience stores in New York state.
Ohio-based Speedway purchased 78 Express Mart stores owned by Petr-All Petroleum Consulting Corporation.
Several stores selling Sunoco-branded gas were converted to Speedway operations over the past few days.
The new Speedway locations will not participate in the Price Chopper AdvantEdge gas discount program. Price Chopper spokeswoman Mona Golub says there are several other Sunoco stations that will continue to honor the discounts.
Not all of the Express Mart stations will be staying with Speedway. A Federal Trade Commission order requires that several stores, including those in Johnson City and Whitney Point, be sold to another company.
The federal directive was issued because regulators were concerned about maintaining competition within certain markets.
The future of McDonald's restaurants at new Speedway sites like those on Old Front Street in the town of Dickinson and Route 434 in Apalachin is uncertain.
A Speedway spokeswoman was asked whether the McDonald's units would remain open after their current leases expire. In an email reply, she wrote: "At this time, we have no further comments to provide."
According to a Price Chopper spokeswoman, these Sunoco stations in Broome and Tioga counties continue to participate in the AdvantEdge program:
- R&B Food Mart at 77 Main Street in Binghamton.
- Xtra Mart at 520 Chenango Street in Binghamton.
- Runway at 143 Riverside Drive in Johnson City.
- Endicott Gas at 415 West Main Street in Endicott.
- Quickway at 1232 Upper Front Street in the town of Chenango.
- Xtra Mart at 1899 Front Street in the town of Chenango.
- Xtra Mart at 1102 Chenango Street in Hillcrest.
- Xtra Mart at 47 Chapel Street in Windsor.
- Route 96 Sunoco at 112 North Avenue in Owego.
- Quickway at 1581 Route 96 in Owego.
This story was updated to include area Sunoco stations still participating in the Price Chopper gas discount program.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.