City Moves to Condemn Downtown Binghamton Building
This apartment house at 129 Susquehanna Street has been condemned by the City of Binghamton. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]
Binghamton officials are condemning another city property because of dangerous conditions.
Mayor Richard David discussed the condemnation process on December 7, 2016. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]
Mayor Richard David Wednesday afternoon announced that a downtown apartment building is the latest target of the city's ongoing battle against blight.
The three-story apartment building at 129 Susquehanna Street has about a dozen units. According to a decision issued by a city attorney, at least 16 people - including two children - were living at the site.
The document released by the city indicated landlord Asif Shaikh attended a hearing on the habitability of the building.
The city attorney concluded the landlord had made good-faith efforts to address safety concerns. Despite those efforts, the attorney determined serious problems continued to exist in the building.
Speaking to reporters across the street from the condemned property, Mayor David said the residents of the building have been living in "true squalor."
David said the basement had been illegally converted to apartments. He said he expected the city would pursue legal action against the owner.
The mayor said the city wants all of those who have been living in the building to move to safer housing as soon as possible.
Buildings at 310 Clinton Street in the First Ward and at 4 Home Avenue on the South Side have been condemned by the city this year.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.