Binghamton High School Shifts to “Remote” After Nearby Shooting
Students are being advised not to report to Binghamton High School following a shootout that happened about a block away.
School principal Kevin Richman Monday evening announced in-person classes would not be held on Tuesday in the aftermath of a shooting incident on Murray Street.
In a tweet, Richman said the high school would operate in a "fully remote" mode "to ensure the safety of all."
The principal's message indicated the move would "assist in the investigation." He did not elaborate.
More than a dozen shots were fired on Murray Street just north of Main Street around high school dismissal time Monday afternoon.
Police chief Joseph Zikuski said "four black males" were observed running toward North Street after the "shootout."
Zikuski did not provide an age for the suspects and it was not known whether any of those involved were believed to be high school students.
City police investigators asked a reporter at the shooting scene whether he had taken any pictures of some type of attack in the area of the high school at Main and Oak streets earlier in the day.
Two people were reported injured in an incident that initially was described as involving a vehicle.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org or (607) 772-8400 extension 233.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.