Bob Joseph/WNBF News
Bob Joseph/WNBF News

A small fire prompted an evacuation of employees at a mail processing facility in downtown Binghamton.

City firefighters were called to the main post office around 12:45 this afternoon.

Fire department duty chief Sam Santoni said the blaze ignited in a paper shredder on the north side of the United States Postal Service facility off Lewis Street.

Santoni said the device shreds and then compacts paper. Some paper apparently became wedged behind the machine and caught fire.

The smoldering fire was quickly extinguished and no injuries were reported.

Santoni said a previous fire involving the shredder had been more serious.

The assistant fire chief said the machine was taken out of service until it could be assessed by maintenance workers.

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM