Airport Inn Fire Devastates Binghamton Family
On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, at around 4:00 a.m., a fire broke out at the Airport Inn on Airport Road in Binghamton. Fire crews rushed to the scene, but there was no saving the structure. Sources tell us that the fire has resulted in a total loss of the Southern Tier famous, Airport Inn. But what many don't know is that the fire also devastated the family who lived in the apartment above the Airport Inn.
Andy Kipp, owner of The Old Union Hotel and founder of First Ward Charities in Binghamton reached out to Townsquare Media on Tuesday night and asked if we would partner with his First Ward Charities to help share the news that there is a family in our community who lost everything and needs our support. The family includes two children, a boy, and a girl.
Donation items can be dropped off at The Old Union Hotel on Clinton Street in Binghamton. Monetary donations can be dropped at First Ward Charities inside the Old Union Hotel as well. If you’re unable to drop off a donation but would like to help, you can make a financial contribution by clicking on the "Donate" button here. 100 percent of funds raised will be given directly to the fire victims and all monetary donations are tax deductible.
If you're able to help, there are also some very specific items being requested for the children.
Gift Cards: Walmart, Best Buy, Wegmans, Aldi, Price Chopper
Middle School boy: Shoe size 8, clothing size 12/14 (athletic shorts, sweat pants, and sweatshirts. He likes Adidas and the colors black, blue and orange).
Maine Memorial girl: Shoe size 4, clothing size 10/12 (leggings, tops, sweatshirts, no sparkles. She likes the colors black and blue).
Both children also need school supplies and hygiene items.
The grandfather of the children, Mike McGinnis, wears pants sized 34/34, size large tops and jackets, and a size 10 shoe. Another tenant, Kyle Barnum, escaped the fire with only the clothes he was wearing and his keys. Like Mr. McGinnis and the children, everything else Kyle owned was a total loss. Kyle wears a size large/extra large shirts, 34/32 pants, and size 10 shoes.
This weekend is the biggest weekend of the year for The Old Union Hotel and they've graciously offered to donate 10 percent of every single order made on Sunday, February 3rd. All that you need to do is let them know when you place your order in person or over the phone that you'd like to support the fire victims they'll take care of the rest.
[via First Ward Charities/WBNG]