One person was transported to a hospital following a blaze in a single-family home in Binghamton.

The fire at 22 Denton Road was reported around 10:50 a.m. Friday. Thick black smoke was pouring from the house before firefighters arrived.

Fire department Captain Gerald Madden said a home health nurse was in the residence when the fire erupted. She and a man who lives in the house were on the second floor when the nurse saw smoke.

Fire damaged a house at 22 Denton Road in Binghamton. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Madden said firefighters were able to get the man outside after a few minutes. He was taken to Wilson Medical Center in Johnson City.

Madden said a dog died as a result of the blaze.

Most of the fire damage was confined to the first floor of the house, although damage to the second floor of the structure also was visible.

Fire investigators were being assisted by Binghamton police detectives.

An ambulance at the scene of a house fire on Denton Road on December 4, 2020. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph:

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

LOOK: 50 photos of American life in 2020