The mercury spill was discovered in front of 24 Doubleday Street. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]

Authorities are perplexed by the spill of several ounces of toxic mercury in a Binghamton neighborhood.

Fire department officials say someone reported the material was in front of an apartment house at 24 Doubleday Street on the North Side. The 911 call was received around 5 p.m. Monday.

Several ounces of the poisonous material apparently had spilled next to the curb.

A fire department hazardous materials unit was called. A tent was erected over the area to prevent the toxic liquid from being washed away by heavy rain.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation arranged for a contractor to clean up the material.

Binghamton Mayor Richard David said police were interviewing residents of the neighborhood in an effort to find out how the mercury wound up on the street.

The mayor said a "sizeable amount" of mercury was involved. The DEC estimated between eight and twelve ounces of mercury was found at the site.

Officials could not immediately estimate how much the mercury clean up cost or who would foot the bill.


Yellow caution tape and orange cones surrounded the spot where the mercury spill was found. [Bob Joseph/WNBF News][/caption]For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM