Historic Marker Placed at Stone Opera House in Binghamton
An abandoned building that's been ignored for years in downtown Binghamton is getting a little recognition with the installation of a historic marker.
The Stone Opera House at 33 Chenango Street has been vacant for several decades.
The building opened to the public with live theatrical performances in 1892. It has languished since the Riviera movie theater showed its last movie in early 1978.
According to a news release from Binghamton City Hall, the marker was made possible by a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
The placement of the marker commemorated the 120th anniversary of a speech made at the site by Theodore Roosevelt. He was governor of New York State when he visited Binghamton on October 27, 1900, as the vice presidential running mate of President William McKinley.
Roosevelt became president less than 11 months later after McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo.
The Stone Opera House building was acquired by Bingstone LLC in 2012 for $71,400.
People who have been inside the place in recent years say it is in very poor condition and would require millions of dollars in renovation work if it is to be salvaged.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: firstname.lastname@example.org
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.