Health Officials Warn of Possible Measles Exposure in Parts of New York
The Broome County Health Department is responding to reports of a person with measles potentially exposing others to the disease at locations in New York State April 26th through May 2nd.
One incident was at an Old Country Buffet restaurant in Elmira between 1 and 4 p.m. April 30. Other potential exposure times were during a Watchtower conference at the group’s Education Center April 26 and 27 in Patterson New York and the Watchtower Museum in Tuxedo Park as well as at restaurants in Fishkill and Patterson, a travel plaza on the New York State Thruway in Leroy, a food market in Brewster, the Sheraton Niagara Falls in Niagara, the urgent care facility in Niagara Falls and the TA Travel Center at exit 5 on Interstate 390 in Dansville, New York.
The Health Department says the Measles virus can remain active and contagious for up to two hours in the air or on surfaces.
People without immunity who may have been exposed and show symptoms should contact their health care provider before going for care to avoid spreading the illness.
People first develop a fever, then may have a cough, runny nose and watery eyes followed by the distinct polka-dot rash. Health officials say symptoms may appear 10 t 12 days after exposure.
The best way to prevent measles is to be vaccinated.
Here is the complete list of locations visited by the infected person and the times as provided by the Broome County Health Department:
- Watchtower Educational Center, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, NY
- between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. on April 26, 2018 in the dining hall;
- between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. on April 27, 2018 in the main lobby area;
- and between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on April 27, 2018 in the dining hall.
- Museum at the Watchtower World Headquarters, 1 Kings Drive, Tuxedo Park, NY between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on April 27, 2018.
- Red Line Diner, 588 Route 9, Fishkill, NY between 10:30 p.m. on April 27, 2018 and 1:30 a.m. on April 28, 2018.
- Subway Restaurant in Patterson Commons, 3104 Route 22, Patterson, NY between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. on April 29, 2018.
- Old Country Buffet, 821 Country Route 64, Elmira, NY on April 30th between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Ontario Travel Plaza on NYS Thruway (I-90) in Leroy, NY on April 30th between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- DeCicco and Sons (food market), 50 Independent Way, Brewster, NY between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on May 1, 2018.
- Sheraton Niagara Falls, 300 3rd Street, Niagara Falls, NY from 5:30 p.m. on April 30th to 9:30 a.m. on May 2nd
- Niagara Falls Urgent Care, 3117 Military Road Suite 2, Niagara Falls, NY on May 1st between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- TA Travel Center, Exit 5 on Interstate 390 in Dansville, NY, on May 2nd between 9:30 a.m. and noon