The simple action of shutting a door may have kept an electrical fire in a basement from spreading to the rest of the house in the Town of Chenango September 7.

WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM logo
Get our free mobile app

Broome County emergency officials say the blaze at around 1:32 p.m. Tuesday, September 7 at 324 Dimmock Hill Road went to a second alarm but additional crews were held back after the Chenango Fire Company found the blaze basically put itself out due to lack of oxygen.

A basement door had been shut, cutting off the flow of air and supply of oxygen for the flames.

There were no reports of injuries.

VIRTUAL TOUR: Look Inside Downtown Binghamton’s Secret Mansion


LOOK: How Halloween has changed in the past 100 years

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM