Endicott fire department officials now say four people were hurt and six were left homeless as a result of a blaze that tore through a large apartment house.

Investigators believe the Tuesday morning's fire at 103 Parsons Avenue was cooking-related. Fire chief Joseph Griswold said it apparently started as a result of a pot being left unattended on a stove in a first-floor kitchen.

Griswold said the fire had a "good head start" before it was reported. He said flames were shooting from the front and one of the sides of the building when fire units arrived.

Endicott firefighters preparing to enter a burning apartment house at 103 Parsons Avenue. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

The chief said firefighters who entered the burning structure found a man asleep in a second-floor bedroom and brought him out of the building.

No serious injuries were reported as a result of the fire. A boy who lived in a neighboring building was treated for possible smoke inhalation.

Griswold said there were all three apartments were occupied at the time of the fire. He said the building must be demolished because it has been declared a total loss.

Medics at the scene of a fire on Parsons Avenue in Endicott on May 11, 2021. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com or (607) 772-8400 extension 233.

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

Here Is How To Blur Your Home On Google Street View

KEEP READING: Get answers to 51 of the most frequently asked weather questions...