More than a dozen Binghamton University students were forced from a downtown apartment building by an early-morning fire.

The blaze at 215 State Street was reported at 2:12 a.m. Wednesday. The fire damaged loft apartments on the top two floors of the four-story building.

Authorities say there are eight apartments in the structure. They say 16 people were inside the building when the fire was discovered. No injuries were reported.

Fire marshal Alan Gardiner said the blaze was caused by a malfunctioning combination light and fan unit in a fourth floor bathroom. He said a resident reported the fan had been "making a crazy noise" shortly before the fire broke out.

One residents says there was heavy damage in the upper portion of the building. A fire department official says the roof sustained extensive damage.

Glass from broken windows and other debris after a fire on State Street. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Some students displaced by the fire stayed with friends or were accommodated at a downtown hotel.

The Memory Maker Project has an art gallery on the street level of the building. Director Christina Muscatello says the gallery sustained some water and smoke damage. The artwork in the gallery was not damaged.

Muscatello plans to host a clothing and supply drive during the First Friday event to provide assistance to the students whose belongings were lost as a result of the fire.

This story was updated to include additional information provided by the Binghamton fire marshal.

Artwork in the Memory Maker Project gallery was not damaged by the fire in the building. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph:

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.