Authorities believe a bird's nest built around a porch light may be to blame for a blaze that damaged a home in Tioga County.

The fire at 4 Billings Road in Apalachin was reported around 5:45 a.m. Friday.

Fire chief Mike George said the blaze was reported by a resident after he smelled smoke.

The fire chief said the blaze was knocked down after about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.

George said the fire started on the outside of the house. He said it may have been caused by a bird's nest that was built near a porch light that had been left on.

The fire damaged the attic space and roof area of the house. Some smoke and water damage also was reported inside the structure.

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph:

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.

More From WNBF News Radio 1290 AM & 92.1 FM