Bob Joseph/WNBF News

A massive fire that wrecked a downtown Binghamton furniture store may have started in a delivery area.

The blaze at Ellis Brothers at 162 Water Street was discovered shortly after seven o'clock this morning.

Bob Joseph/WNBF News

Assistant fire chief Mark Whalen says the business owner told fire department officials he received an alarm "a little after seven."

Whalen says when the owner arrived, he "saw smoke and flames in the first-floor delivery room."

The assistant chief says firefighters made an initial attack inside. But they were met by "heavy fire and smoke" and the fire "flashed over." Firefighters then "retreated out the front door" and began to battle the blaze from outside the building.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known but officials said there was no indication that it was suspicious.

No injuries were reported.

Sections of streets in the downtown business district were closed for several hours because of firefighting activity.