West Endicott Fire Station Deemed “Historic”
A fire station built almost a century ago has been nominated to the New York state and national registers of historic places.
The West Endicott Hose Company building on Page Avenue is one of seventeen sites recommended by the state Board for Historic Preservation.
Construction of the fire station was completed in 1923. It featured recreational facilities including a bowling alley, dance hall and gym for use by neighborhood residents.
The facility was a gift of Endicott Johnson Shoe Company founder George F. Johnson.
The historic preservation board noted the building gift reflected Johnson's belief in "welfare capitalism," which held that employers were responsible for the welfare of their employees.
If the fire station ultimately is accepted on the registers of historic places, it could become eligible for preservation programs and services.