UPDATE: Fire Damages Student Housing Building on State Street
No injuries are reported following an apartment fire in Downtown Binghamton early October 3.
City firefighters were called to the State Street student housing building north of the Federal Courthouse at around 2 a.m.with the report of a fire in a third and fourth floor loft.
Binghamton Fire Chief Stephen Faughnan says, while the investigation is underway, it’s believed the blaze was started by an electrical problem.
Faughnan says the building, housing eight apartments and an art gallery on the first floor, sustained extensive damage to the roof.
The Chief says crews from all the City’s firehouses responded and quickly got a handle on the flames, limiting the damage primarily to the open loft and roof.
The local building manager was able to find overnight accommodations for the ten students displaced by the blaze and the art gallery owner was able to get on scene quickly. She, with the help of firefighters, were able to move the art pieces out of harm’s way.