Several people were left homeless after a fire caused serious damage to a two-family home in Binghamton.

The blaze at 22 Clarke Street was reported around 4:15 p.m. Wednesday. A second alarm was sounded as flames spread throughout the two-story wood structure.

The fire was declared under control after about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Five people reportedly lived in the house, which is located one block north of Horace Mann Elementary School.

The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist two men and a woman.

Initial reports indicated the fire originated in the basement of the building. The blaze spread into the first and second floors.

Firefighters smashed windows on the second floor to reach burning sections of the structure.

Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski, right, at the scene of a fire on Clarke Street on September 19, 2018. (Photo: Bob Joseph/WNBF News)

Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: bob@wnbf.com

For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.