Smoky Fire At Binghamton Apartment Tower
An early-morning blaze generated plenty of smoke but caused little damage at a 16-story downtown Binghamton apartment building.
The two-alarm fire at the Metro Plaza Apartments at 110 Chenango Place was reported at 5:12 a.m. Monday.
Some residents were moved from their apartments to a cafeteria below the fire until smoke could be cleared from the building.
Fire department lieutenant Rick Tinder told WNBF News several residents complained of inhaling smoke. They were evaluated at the building. Tinder said he was not aware of anyone being transported for treatment.
The building near the intersection of Chenango and Henry streets has about 150 apartments. It’s located west of the main post office and the baseball stadium.
Tinder said the fire’s cause was being listed as accidental. He said it was linked to a problem with an electrical cord that ran to a commercial-type refrigerator at a commissary.
Tinder said the blaze was extinguished within a few minutes.