Authorities in Cortland County say a resident of a home in Cortland that caught fire December 22nd may have defied a directive to stay out of the house until it could be repaired. The result was another fire.

Authorities say the home on Harrington Avenue will no longer be repairable following a second fire January 3rd.

One person had reportedly been living in the house and apparently had been using a fireplace to stay warm. But the fireplace was not properly maintained and was where the second fire started.

The first fire was reportedly the result of an electrical problem.

There were no injuries in either fire.