Ryan to Unveil 2013 Binghamton Budget
The 2013 Binghamton city budget proposal is to be presented to lawmakers next Monday.
Mayor Matthew Ryan had been scheduled to deliver his budget address to a special meeting of city council this evening.
The mayor’s office has announced the presentation has been rescheduled for Monday at 5:30 p.m.
City hall spokesman Andrew Block said the address was postponed after the mayor was “called away on a family matter.”
Ryan on Tuesday discussed his spending proposal on WNBF Radio’s Binghamton Now program.
The mayor said this budget could be a “little tougher than others” because of steps that ultimately will save the city money in the future.
Ryan said an early-retirement incentive is costing the city about $900,000 but that will result in a savings of a few hundred thousand dollars in the upcoming budget.
The mayor said his 2013 spending plan calls for a “little attrition” but no layoffs. He indicated he’ll call for no big changes in staffing of the police and fire departments.
After the budget proposal is delivered to city council, lawmakers will schedule a series of budget review sessions to examine the plan department-by-department.
A finalized budget is to be adopted by council in November.