One Dead in Binghamton Apartment House Fire
A heater for a pet iguana's tank is being blamed for sparking a deadly fire on Binghamton's west side.
Authorities say the fire broke out at 6:23 a.m. November 3rd on the second floor of a three-story apartment house at 51 Thorpe Street and spread to the third floor.
Binghamton police detectives say 41 year old Robert Curtis, who lived on the third floor had gotten out of the building but then went back in to try to rescue some dogs. He never made it out again alive.
Every fire rig in the city responded to the scene and heavy flames were reported on the second floor as the first units arrived at the building.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in just fifteen minutes but spent over two hours on-site before some of the units began to head back to their stations.
The building was heavily damaged, mainly on the second and third floors.
Officials say there were nine people living in the building. Six of them were home at the time.