March Against Violence to be Held in Binghamton
A Binghamton man is encouraging people concerned about recent violent incidents in the area to participate in a downtown march.
Tahir Pearson said he has been working to organize Saturday's event through Project Save Our Sons and Daughters.
Pearson said he has lived in Binghamton since he was 11 years old. Before that, his family resided in Brooklyn. He said the drugs and crime that were prevalent in New York City have become more common in Binghamton in recent years.
Pearson hopes area residents will join together to help come up with solutions to address the violence that has become more commonplace.
Pearson said the march will originate at Green Man Park at Court and State streets. He said people may gather at the site at 11 a.m. Saturday. From there, they'll walk together to Columbus Park.
A sign that had been placed at the downtown gathering point promoting the march was removed Wednesday morning.
Pearson said the children who had created the small sign were "proud of it." He said he was surprised when he learned it had vanished.
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.