Historic Chenango County Restaurant Burns
No injuries are reported after fire heavily damaged a landmark restaurant and inn on Route 12 in Norwich.
Officials say a problem with a broiler at Fred’s Inn is being eyed as the possible cause of the fire, which started in the kitchen shortly before 3 p.m. October 14th. The blaze reportedly quickly spread upward into the attic.
There were employees and customers in the building at the time the fire broke out.
The inn has been a fixture on Route 12 for close to 80 years under a couple names, starting in 1933 as Rocco’s Inn.