Drazen Won’t Run For Binghamton Mayor
A Binghamton attorney who has run for mayor in the three previous elections has announced he will not be a candidate this year.
Douglas Walter Drazen on Tuesday said he does not intend to challenge Republican incumbent Richard David.
Drazen had been a candidate in 2005, 2009 and 2013. He revealed his decision not to run this year in an emailed statement.
The statement noted his work related to election law in New York state. He noted his successful effort to bring term limits to the offices of mayor and city council members in the city of Binghamton.
Drazen wrote after more than two decades of "battling to bring Binghamton back to life," he's recognized that his "time as a political candidate has passed."
Speaking later on WNBF Radio's Binghamton Now program, Drazen recalled a "spirited and animated" Republican primary debate he had with Richard David and Ed Hickey in 2013. He expressed regret that the debate didn't continue for a second hour.
The petition process for mayoral candidates begins next week. With barely five months remaining until Election Day, the incumbent mayor is the only announced candidate for the job.
Michael Treiman and Bella Rubinton had announced plans to seek the Democratic party nomination but they both changed their minds. City Democrats say they expect a candidate will soon officially announce plans to challenge David.
For his part, David said he'll keep doing his job and let his "actions speak for themselves."
For breaking news and updates on developing stories, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.