Broome Officials Issue Carbon Monoxide Warning
The Broome County Health Department is alerting residents to the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning during the extreme cold.
The department urges people to follow precautions to prevent problems associated with the misuse of heating devices.
Officials say ovens or stoves should not be used to heat a home. Unvented gas or kerosene space heaters should not be utilized in enclosed spaces. Doors to the rest of the house should be kept open to ensure proper ventilation.
Generators or pumps with fuel-powered engines should not be used inside a house, attached garage or on a porch.
Charcoal or gas grills should not be used inside or operated outside near a window where carbon monoxide fumes could seep in through a window or door.
People also are advised to be certain that the batteries in home carbon monoxide detectors are working.