Binghamton Firefighters Called to Downtown High-Rise
City firefighters investigated a reported smoke condition at one of downtown Binghamton’s tallest buildings Wednesday afternoon.The alarm at the Metro Plaza Apartments at 110 Chenango Place came in about 1 p.m.
The 16-story building near the corner of Chenango and Henry streets houses about 150 apartments.
The first firefighters inside the structure reported an odor of smoke in the penthouse level of the high-rise.
Deputy fire chief Brian O’Loughlin told WNBF News the problem was traced to an elevator motor. He said there was no fire and no visible smoke.
Elevators were shut down as a precaution. O’Loughlin said the situation was turned over to an elevator mechanic after firefighters completed their assessment.
A NYSEG crew already was on the scene when firefighters arrived. O’Loughlin said that was coincidental; the utility had been called to check out a possible gas leak at the building.
A section of Henry Street between Chenango and Carroll Streets was closed for a time because of the fire department activity.
The exit to the downtown post office was blocked by a charged hose line.