Binghamton Budget Cuts Could Stall Parks Improvements
Money that had been included in Binghamton Mayor Matthew Ryan’s proposed budget for next year to improve city parks facilities, including tennis courts on the west side, has met City Council’s chopping block.
Residents, speaking at a public hearing on the revised budget October 25th, said they were concerned about the proposed borrowing of $16 million, bringing the City to its borrowing limit, but were also worried that not funding improvements to recreational facilities, including the tennis courts at Recreation Park, could end up costing the City in lost tourism revenue.
One speaker told lawmakers that if $350,000 for renovations to the courts were not restored, the City risks losing the Levene, Gouldin and Thompson Challenger tennis tournament that draws world-class players and hundreds of spectators to the west side each year.
As it stands now under the revised budget, residential taxes in the City would go up about a tenth of a percent while the commercial property taxes are slated to go up close to one percent.
Council is holding a special work session October 30 at 5 p.m. to vote on the spending plan.